From June 2002 to May 2003, I lived at the Biosphere 2 Center at the base of the Santa Catalina Mountains in Oracle, Arizona. During that time, I received a MPA degree in Earth Systems Science, Policy, and Management from Columbia University without ever stepping on their New York City campus.
Even though I studied at a tourist attraction, I lived in an adorable Arroyo apartment situated in a wildlife corridor within the Sonora Desert. Animals that frequently showed up around my apartment included a mother black bear and her cubs, javelinas, jack rabbits, mountain lions, fox, coati, rattlesnakes, skunks, ringtails, cattle, coyotes, roadrunners, many different lizard species...
And despite having a rigorous academic workload (we completed Columbia's two-year program in just one year), we managed to find lots of time to have a blast and explore our desert home...
Enjoy some photographs our year at the Biosphere:
* Amy's 25th Birthday, June 27, 2002
* Beth's Surprise Birthday Party, July 9, 2002
* Wine and Cheese Party, July 10, 2002
* Tucson Botanical Gardens Trip, July 27, 2002
* Trip to Moab, Utah, August 16-19, 2002
* Rosh Hashanah, September 6, 2002
* Halloween Party, October 31, 2002
* Holiday Party, December 13, 2002
* Carrie's Birthday Party at April's House, February 1, 2003
* Tanya and Todd's Party, April 12, 2003
* Sunna's Surprise Birthday Brunch, April 13, 2003
* Prom Night, May 1, 2003
* Misc. gatherings at Carrie's House (not included above)
* Carrie's Apartment